Monday, August 12, 2013

Apples, Apples everywhere

 Sorry for the radio silence these past few weeks. The kids were in Ontario visiting with their grand parents, and I took a vacation. Paul and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary. We spent time at the beach, went canoeing, made new trails threw our forest, went fishing, and lots more. It was wonderful to spend so much quality time just the two of us. I can't remember the last time we had that privilege. I missed the kids like crazy though and I'm so happy to have them home again and be back in the normal swing of things.

We have several very old apple trees on our property. I hope to be able to ID most of them in the next few months. Old apple varieties are so much more diverse and interesting than the new. The first of these is in full fruit right now. According to my research, and confirmed by Paul's grandmother, Its a White transparent. A dessert apple with white skin, white flesh, and a sweet, but sharp flavour. We picked buckets full yesterday and proceeded to preserve them. In syrup, as jam, as apple sauce, plus I made some pies and cobbler. All this, and we've barely scratched the surface. These apples are so soft, they all need to be preserved or eaten within a few days of harvest. I hope some of he other trees will yield good keepers, but ether way, we'll have more apples to preserve than we can possibly eat. So, if you come to visit, expect to be leaving with apples. Any one have suggestions or favourite recipes for preserving apples?


 photo 106_4918_zpsba394a6a.jpg  photo 106_4936_zps790397f4.jpg We weren’t the only ones enjoying the apples  photo 106_4938_zpse59ada5b.jpg
eating while we pick  photo 106_4939_zpsa621c962.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment